After tough competitions in the district finals, two DPSCD teams came out on top to advance to the MHSAA regionals. Congratulations to King and Cass Tech for their victories, and to the teams from Mumford, Central and East English for a great season. Shout out to all the supporters who came out to cheer on our boys! We’ll see you in the stands this Friday as the Crusaders and the Technicians continue their march to the state championship.
Friday, November 10
- Division 2: Ypsilanti Lincoln at King at 6 p.m.
- Division 1: Cass Tech at Chippewa Valley at 7 p.m.
Congratulations to Coach Ramona Cox and the Cass Lady Technicians who captured the DPSL volleyball title by defeating the Lady Phoenix of Renaissance in front of a capacity crowd by a score of 3 sets to 0. In the consolation match, the Lady Pioneers of Detroit Edison PSA defeated the Lady Crusaders of King to determine the third and fourth placed finishing varsity teams in the DPSL for 2017. In between matches, the coaches’ All-City Volleyball Team was honored in a medals presentation ceremony. Great job to all our teams and thank you to all coaches, officials, trainers and parents for another successful season!
Congratulations to the boys and girls cross country teams on a great season! The final championship race on Belle Isle brought families, friends and the community together to cheer on our student-athletes. The top girl’s runner, Kennedee Cowles of Renaissance, finished the course in 21:35 and in the lead for the boys was Gilbert Vance of Denby, who ran a final time of 18:27. King Girls captured the team trophy, with five runners finishing in the top ten. Taking home the boy’s team trophy was Pershing, who also had five runners finishing in the top ten. Runners who finished in the top 20 were named to the All-City PSL Boys and Girls Cross Country Teams for 2017. Thank you to the coaches, officials, sponsors, trainers, and parents for supporting our student-athletes this season!
Full list of cross-country results
Tonight is the night! Head down to Ford Field for the Detroit Public School League’s football championship games. Denby and Central will fight for the Division B title at 4 p.m. and King will take on East English Village for the Division A championship at 7 p.m. These games will determine who will move forward to the state championship game in December.
These teams have worked extremely hard all season to make it to Ford Field. Let’s show our support by packing the stands and cheering on our student-athletes!
Visit detroitk12.org/sports to see more on standings, schedules and all things athletics.
DPSL Central Office, EAA Central Office, Athletic Coordinators, Boys Swim Coaches and DPSL Supporters
The Office of Athletics would like to acknowledge the winners from our 2016-17 Boys Swim Championship held on Wednesday, 2/15/17 at Western International High School.
Team Placement Results
1st Place Team – Cass
2nd Place Team – Western
3rd Place Team – King
4th Place Team – Renaissance
5th Place Team – East English Village
6th Place Team – Mumford
7th Place Team – Cody
8th Place Team – DCP-Northwestern
Event Winner Results
1. 200 Medley Relay – Cass
2. 200 Yards Freestyle – William Cameron – Renaissance
3. 200 Individual Medley – Brian Williams – Mumford
4. 50 Freestyle – Dorian Ross – Cass
5. 100 Fly – Kenneth Hammond – Cass
6. 100 Freestyle – Donovan Malcolm – Cass
7. 500 Freestyle – Marcello Lopez – Cass
8. 200 Freestyle Relay – Cass
9. 100 Backstroke – Delshawn Durkins – King
10. 100 Breaststroke – Brian Williams – Mumford
11. 400 Freestyle Relay – Cass
All City Swimmers – Brian William (Mumford), William Cameron (Renaissance), Dorian Ross (Cass), Kenneth Hammond (Cass), Donovan Malcolm (Cass), Marcello Lopez (Cass), Delshawn Durkins (King)
Most Outstanding Swimmer – Brian William – Mumford
National Football Signing Day
On February 1, National Football Signing Day, DPSCD athletes joined family and friends in the Horatio Williams Foundation Center to sign and commit to colleges across the United States. Daryl Weaver, the public address announcer for the Detroit Public Sports League, individually recognized the players as they made their way to sign.
A total of 32 from the DPSL students have committed and a select few graduated early to start winter conditioning with their college football teams. Congratulations Young Men! Below is a full list of DPSCD students and their perspective colleges:
Cass Technical High:
- Donovan Peoples-Jones University of Michigan
- Zachary Morton Syracuse
- Otis Doss Siena Heights
- Rodney Hall Northern Illinois
- Jordan Reid Michigan State
- Donovan Johnson Penn State
- Jaylen Kelly-Powell University of Michigan
- Kelvin Ateman Toledo
- Maurice Brandy Siena Heights
- Desean Boyd Eastern Michigan
- Darico Ellis Central State
- Taron Young Delaware State
- Willie Reid Central Michigan
- Savion Hopes Delaware State
- Anthony Clark Wayne State
- Dacari Green Findlay
Martin Luther King, Jr. Sr. High School:
- Ambry Thomas Michigan
- Cepeda Phillips Kent State
- Jorden Marks Siena Heights
- Damani Green Wayne State
- Jaylen Wilson Ridgewater College
- Kevin Willis Ridgewater College
- Jeremiah Thomas Ridgewater College
- Christian Chatman Tuskegee or Kalamazoo
- Solomon Callaway Ridgewater College
East English Village Preparatory Academy:
- Delvin Washington Davenport University