In order to provide better customer service to our current and former students, an online form has been developed for Education Verification requests. The $15 fee will be waived for new requests.
Mail the following:
- Your Education Verification Form or Letter must be on your company letterhead. The request must include the following information below. Failure to provide this information will result in your request being delayed or returned.
- Current Full Name
- Former Name (Name as it appears on school records)
- Date of Birth
- Last DPSCD School Attended
- Dates of Attendance
- Indicate if student graduated, attended Night School, Adult Education or Summer School (Very Important)
- A clear copy of valid student’s I.D. (see list of valid I.D. below)
- Authorization form/signature from student (i.e. signed release)
Mail Request(s) to:
Detroit Public Schools
Office of Student Records & Transcripts
Division of Technology & Information Services
1425 East Warren Avenue, 2nd Floor
Detroit, MI 48207-1020
- In accordance with 34 CFR § 300.613 we will respond to any records requests without unnecessary delay.
- Processing time once requests have been received by Student Records and Transcripts is up to 30 business days.
- Please be advised that records may require additional time to research as these records are stored at an offsite location. Each case is unique and based on the age and quality of the student record; or other extenuating circumstances special attention and time are required to retrieve these documents. Your patience is requested as we work to retrieve these records for your special case.
Questions & Status Requests
For questions or to check the status of requests, please contact the Detroit Public Schools Service Desk at (313) 576-0090, Monday – Friday from 7:00 AM – 5:00 PM. Please have the following information readily available:
- Student’s Name(s) while attending Detroit Public Schools
- Student’s Date of Birth
- Name of all schools student attended (Elementary, Middle, High School, Night School or Second Chance, etc.)
- Student’s graduation date (Month and Year is needed)
- Student’s Home Address while in school
- Receipt number from the money order or cashier’s check.
- Date request(s) and payment were sent to the office
- Address where the requests and payment were mailed
- Current name and phone number
- Address or fax number where you would like the requests items returned
Acceptable forms of Identification
A clear copy of your current identification (I.D.) is required in order to obtain a copy of your student records.
The following documents are accepted as I.D.:
- Driver's License
- State I.D.
- Social Security Card
- Birth Certificate
- Court Documents
- Utility Bills
- Medical Records
- Insurance Documents
- Mail with Identifying Name and Address
If you are under 18 years of age, a parent or guardian must request your records.
If you are 18 or older, you must request the record(s) or provide a written and signed documentation and a clear copy of your identification authorizing someone else to obtain a copy of your record(s). In addition, the person authorized to request a copy of your record(s) must also have a clear copy of their own photo identification as well.