Letter from the Superintendent
Detroit Public Schools Community District Families,
It is with great excitement, pride and humility that I begin our work to serve children and communities as your superintendent for the new Detroit Public Schools Community District.
I arrive at this opportunity with more than 15 years of experience as a teacher, principal, state and district administrator and superintendent. All of that work has been done in traditional, urban public schools and districts. I have had the privilege of serving communities that present the same challenges and opportunities as Detroit, including the Bronx, Miami, Jacksonville, and each of the large, urban communities within Florida.
There is no better time than now and no better place than here to demonstrate to the nation what we are capable of and why public education still matters.
Update from the Superintendent – July 11th, 2017
As presented at the July 11th Board Meeting, Dr. Nikolai Vitti provided the board with an EAA Transition Update, Financial Overview, and an update on the state of the district.
Dr. Nikolai Vitti confirmed as new DPSCD superintendent
The Financial Review Commission approved a five-year contract with Dr. Nikolai Vitti as Detroit Public Schools Community District’s new superintendent. Dr. Vitti will take the helm of Michigan’s largest school district on Tuesday, May 23, assuming responsibility for more than 6,000 employees, 48,000 students and an annual fiscal budget of $660 million.
District News & Press Releases
- Students take on Target: DPSCD receives $10,000 in back-to-school supplies
- We have a seat saved for your child!
- Only weeks away from the first day of school, check out our fun & free enrollment events
- Michigan Science Center to offer free admission for DPSCD students and families
- Important Back-to-School Staff Calendar
- DPSCD to host two teacher recruitment fairs throughout August
- Student-led Summer Farm Stands continue through August