The Office of Inspector General is an independent oversight function within the Detroit schools system whose purpose is to conduct investigations and forensic audits to improve District operations, while ensuring transparency, accountability and integrity among employees, contractors and vendors doing business with the school district.
The primary mission of the Office of Inspector General is to promote integrity, economy, efficiency, and effectiveness in the operations of the Detroit Public Schools Community District by conducting meaningful and accurate investigations, forensic audits, and special reviews; to detect and deter waste, fraud, and abuse.
The Inspector General and OIG staff shall work with the following set of values in mind:
- PROFESSIONALISM: OIG staff shall conduct themselves in a professional manner and shall strive to be honest, objective and work to maintain a high level of credibility with the DPSCD leadership, the Board, employees, students and the general public. We shall make ourselves accessible, approachable and reliable.
- TIMELY & ACCURATE: The OIG shall focus on delivery of significant, timely, and useful information for District stakeholders and the general public. We shall strive to make our reports accurate, clear, convincing, objective, fair and constructive.
- RELATIONSHIPS: OIG staff shall maintain working relationships with other DPSCD staff, departments and schools. In the course of performing their duties, OIG staff shall treat each other and others outside of the department with consideration, dignity and respect. Furthermore, the OIG shall maintain active partnerships and liaisons with external law enforcement organizations that provide assistance in performance of our mission.
- DEDICATION & HARD WORK: OIG staff shall endeavor to make efficient use of their time through planning, organization and hard work. We shall always strive to remain focused and dedicated to our mission; and in so doing, strive to improve our knowledge, skills and abilities of fraud investigation and auditing through training, continuing education and networking with peers in similar industries.
- VALUE ADDED: The OIG will continue to aggressively pursue ongoing investigations and new allegations of waste, fraud and abuse; as well as identify areas of vulnerability and potential asset and monetary loss to the District. Those found responsible for wrongdoing will be held accountable for their actions; and in so doing, DPSCD will earn back the public’s trust in our school system.
To learn more about some of the OIG’s work, review the Annual Reports below.
Investigations / Forensic Audits
Investigations / Forensic audits are conducted based on allegations of waste, fraud, abuse, financial mismanagement and conflicts of interest. Complaints may be filed by anyone, via the OIG’s confidential fraud hotline and email; involving the areas of Theft, Payroll Fraud, Contractor Fraud, Vendor Fraud, Ethics Violations, Mismanagement, Unauthorized Employment, Abuse, Waste and Misappropriation of District assets. As result of OIG investigations, District employees found to have engaged in wrongdoing have been referred for internal discipline and/or prosecution.
Internal audits aim at evaluating the effectiveness of the District’s activities by identifying potential risk and providing assurance services designed to add value and assist management in implementing process improvement opportunities throughout the Detroit schools system. All internal audits are conducted and reported on in accordance with Generally Accepted Government Auditing Standards (GAGAS) promulgated by the U.S. Comptroller General; and the Institute of Internal Auditors’ International Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing.
District administrators may request internal audit services by completing a Request for Internal Audit Services Form.
- Order 2016-EMSR-06: Order Re-establishing the Office of Inspector General and Requiring the Reporting of Waste, Fraud and Abuse
- Order 2017-TMSR-08 – Order Confirming Continuation of Previously Issued Orders, Policies and Procedures
- Green Book, Principles and Standards for Offices of Inspector General
- Yellow Book, Generally Accepted Government Auditing Standards (GAGAS)
- Detroit Public Schools Employee Code of Ethics
- Whistleblowers’ Protection Act
- Office of Inspector General Frequently Asked Questions – Investigations
- Office of Inspector General Frequently Asked Questions – Audits
- 2017 Annual Report
- 2016 Annual Report
- 2014 Annual Report
- 2013 Annual Report
- 2012 Annual Report
- 2011 Annual Report
- 2010 Annual Report
- OIG Audit Report on the Internal Controls over Gift Cards for the October 5, 2016 Count Day Incentive Giveaway Program / File # 2016-IC-0005